How to watch German programmes When analogue is switched off on April 30th 2012
You'll obviously need a FTA digital receiver, with or without Hard Drive for recording:
and a "universal LNB" to suit your (unknown type) dish if you don't have Sky already.
Hopefully, a standard 40mm neck LNB will fit:
If you choose a receiver with recording ability then you'll need at least a twin-output LNB.
If you plan to add another receiver, you'll need a quad-output LNB.
Apart from that, I can't think of anything, although your cable etc. will have aged and may need to be replaced.
If you want both English and German programmes, you might consider something like our "Formula One" system.
Can I watch German programmes with a Sky Digibox?
It is possible to receive some German programmes with a Sky Digibox. However:
1. The dish still needs to be realigned or changed.
2. The LNB needs to be changed.
3. The Digibox can store a maximum of 50 "Other Channels".
4. It may not work if it has been stored for years (it will have missed several firmware updates).
5. It is not user friendly as the German programmes won't appear in the EPG list.